Friday, December 31, 2010

Ruched Roses Quilt – Finished

More than three years ago, I began this quilt.  I reached a point where I wasn’t happy with it.  I simply put it aside and worked on other projects.  That act of putting it aside and coming back to it later gave me a different prospective.  I pulled it back out earlier this year and actually undid much of the work, redid the border, and finished the quilt.

The quilt has ruched roses made by hand and appliqued onto the quilt by hand.  The center rose is appliqued by hand and has extra batting just beneath it (trapunto technique) to give it extra dimension.  The stems and leaves are machine appliqued.

The wall hanging measures 56 in square.  It is machine quilted.  Here is a close up of one of the corner ruched roses.
Here is the center rose.
The yellow ruched rose along with tulips.
A detail of the double-folded ribbon border which is machine pieced.
Here are two photos of the back before the sleeve and label were sewn on to show the quilting.
Here you can see the trapunto effect beneath the center rose better than from the front.

Happy New Year to you all!

6 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Very beautiful Becky - I loved the border in particular because I think it really sets off the hand applique, sort of makes it look like a garden with a trellis. And the quilting is beautiful! blessings, marlene

rlbates said...

Thank you SBTL. BTW, my name is Ramona not Becky. :)

Jeralee said...

It's GORGEOUS Ramona! Love the pattern and the colors. I don't quilt, but my mother does. You do lovely work.

rlbates said...

Thank you, STP.

Chrysalis said...

That's so beautiful, Ramona. I think of you everyday as I look at my beautiful quilt. I wanted to wish you a very happy and healthy new year in 2011!

rlbates said...

Thank you, CA. Happy New Year to you too