Friday, October 8, 2010

Rushed Roses Quilt -- Work in Progress

 Updated 3/2017-- all links (except to my own posts) removed as many are no longer active and it was easier than checking each one.

One of my very early post on this blog featured the rushed roses on this quilt. The post is dated May 22, 2007. Yes, that means I have allowed this quilt top to languish for over three years. I admit I fell “out of love” with the quilt top. I love the rushed roses and center, but the blue border doesn’t work for me.
The need to appliqué all the small leaves slowed me down too. I admit it was easier to put it aside and piece a baby quilt or two instead.
The quilt top has literally hung on my design wall all this time. Granted often covered up by some other work-in-progress. I have decided it is time to re-design the border and breathe new life into the project.
I pulled out my books looking for inspiration. I found a pieced border I felt would work. It is the "double folded ribbon" pattern from Jenny Beyer's book: The Quilter's Album of Blocks & Borders which she credits to Nancy Nelson, 1979.
I like it much better. I have now removed the blue border and replaced it with the pieced one. I have machine appliqued the leaves in place.
Now I am trying to decide how I want to quilt it. This will also determine whether I need more roses/leaves in the corners.  While I decide I’m also working on more baby quilts.
The instructions for making a ruched rose can be found in American's Heritage Quilts published by Better Homes and Gardens, 1991.

No comments: