Friday, October 21, 2016
Friday, October 14, 2016
I have a friend getting married a few days before Halloween. The invitation says no gifts but I wanted to make a small quilt for her. This is the result. It is a mixed media quilt. The skeletons are from Halloween cards with working hinges at the shoulders and hips. To keep these working I used beads to anchor the skeletons in place, sewing the bead in place through the open hinge. I cut the hats free from the left hands of the skeletons and placed them on their heads adding a veil to one hat. I sewed beads through each eye to help anchor the skeletons and to give color to the eyes. The quilt measures 13.25 in square.
The back has two triangles at the top to allow hanging by using a small wooden dowel (or as I often do a wooden skewer). I used the marbled paper from the wedding invitation envelope to create a place to stash the invitation. The label with quilt maker/date is in the opposite corner.
Here's a closer view of the wedding couple. The groom has a button as his vest. The bride a ribbon skirt that matches the veil and bouquet of gold flowers.When I said I do" by Clint Black keep popping into my head. Hence the name of the quilt.
Friday, October 7, 2016
It took me several months but I finally finished knitting this afghan using yarn my sister Susan brought to me from Arizona. The pattern is Western Hills - The Blanket by Julia Stanfield. The yarn is four colors (black, blue heather, gray heather, and white) of Lion Brand Wool-Ease Sportweight. It measures approx 44 in X 63 in. I've sent the finished afghan to her.
Friday, September 30, 2016
Friday, September 2, 2016
Friday, August 26, 2016
I recently finished this child's crazy quilt. It is machine pieced and quilted. It measures 37 in X 45 in. The front has areas of interest that I hope any child would find interesting.
In this section there are dots, checks, stars, a cat, carolers, a rabbit, flags, a kangaroo, and car instrument panel.
This area has more carolers, Santa, pirate map, tractors, a robot, girls, and a cat.
This area has flags, a basketball, strips, stars, dogs, Oklahoma oil rig, flowers.
In this last photo, the quilt is folded so that the back fabric shows. It is "Holly Hobbie" fabric.
Friday, August 12, 2016
Friday, August 5, 2016
The remodel of my sewing room is mostly done. There are small things that still need to be done -- like recovering the chair, hanging pictures, etc -- but the floor it done, the walls are painted, the shelves are up, new blinds in place, and the books, fabric, etc have been put back into place. Here are some photos of the after.
This first photo shows the wall with the closet that has been turned into a small office space with my antique desk as well as some built in shelves which hold yarn, books, etc. There is a large peg board that hold gadgets, some thread, and my quilt templates. I have have a big board ironing board that fits over my regular ironing board. It needs a new cover which I plan on ordering soon.
This photo shows the wall that faces west so this blind will be closed most of the time to help keep the room cool. My sewing machine sits on an old dining table (it actually will fold out into a rectangle) that I've had since the mid-80's. I long ago took over one of my husband's draft tables to use as a cutting area and to help support my fabric and quilts as I sew/quilt. I discovered that several of my storage bins that stack fit nicely beneath it (easier to see in a photo below).
This photo is of the wall facing north. The blinds will be mostly kept open. There is a nice bookcase along this wall which holds quilting and knitting books. There are also more storage bins of fabric. My fabric hasn't been sorted by color.
This wall holds my design area made of white felt. I made sure it was twice as large after the remodel as before. I am enjoying the increased size already.
Friday, July 29, 2016
I love the way this hat turned out. It is a slouch hat knit using pattern Illilouette Hat by Jenna Swanson. The yarn is Juniper Moon Farm Herriot Heathers in burgundy. The first photo is prior to blocking. The second shows the hat being blocked over a large plate. The last is the hat after blocking.
Friday, July 22, 2016
My sewing room has been long overdue for some remodeling. The carpet and paint as you can see from these first two photos were old and dirty from living with dogs (got to love them) and time. Besides it never seemed to be a good time to close the sewing machine and take the time but currently we are dog-less as our Rusty died this past January. No more excuses.
In this second photo you can see the carpet (probably 25 plus years) was originally a pale blue. Regardless of my cleaning it got to be impossible to get rid of the dirt stains.
I have chosen a light golden yellow for the new paint. The floor is a faux wood similar to Pergo and snaps in place. My dear husband is fortunately a good handyman. We duct-taped a beach towel over the west wall to block some of the summer sun out and help keep the room cool.
The clothing closet has been turned into an area for my small antique writing desk with some shelves added for books, etc.
Friday, July 8, 2016
Blocking really made this shawl! It was knit using the pattern is Stitch Sampler Shawl by On This Day Designs. The yarn is Neighborhood Fiber Co. Studio DK, the shade is Lauraville. The finished shawl measures approx 20 in X 76 in. It has a lovely drape to it.
Friday, July 1, 2016
This quilt top was pieced to donate to the Pulse Orlando Victim via the Orland Modern Quilt Guild. The information to participate in this endeavor can be found here and here. This pieced top measures 56.5 in X 67.5 in. I'll be sending backing, batting, and binding with the top. As my sewing room is being dismantled for repainting and new floor I won't be able to do the quilting. Thankfully the guild will.