Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Shout Outs

Updated 3/2017 -- photos and all links removed (except to my own posts) as many no longer active.


Sharp Brains is the host for this week’s Grand Rounds. You can read this week’s myth buster’s edition here.
Wel­come to a new edi­tion of Grand Rounds blog car­ni­val, the weekly edi­tion of what’s best in the health and med­ical blo­gos­phere. This week, twenty four blog­gers share data, insights, ques­tions, reflec­tions and more. Enjoy!
On Improv­ing Care
Dr. Robert Oren­stein at ACP Hos­pi­tal­ist: thor­oughly clean­ing patient’s rooms can dra­mat­i­cally reduce healthcare-acquired infec­tions (HAI). ….
…………………….…
H/T to @SynapticSilence for the link to this NY Times article by Jo Craven McGinty about as he puts it “a kind of prolonged grief I doubt many of us, even those in the mental health profession, have considered” -- As 9/11 Remains Are Identified, Grief Is Renewed
On Nov. 19, 2001, Susan Ainbinder Hutchins received a call saying that her son, Kevin Colbert, who worked at an investment bank on the 89th floor of 2 World Trade Center, had been identified among the ground zero remains.
“I’m thinking, they found my son,” she said, “but …...
But the nightmare was not over. “The calls kept coming and coming and coming,” she said. For several years, at roughly two-month intervals, she was informed that another piece of her son had been identified.
“Nobody gets it,” she said. “They don’t understand why I’m stuck in such an awful place.”   ……….
………………………………….
H/T to @hjluks who tweeted “DOCs... like to doodle during patient interactions? draw MD - iPad Application j.mp/vfU5lW #hcsm #thcsm @myen” 
I would use this app if I were still in practice!  I often sketched over the photos in brochures or attempted to draw my own.  It looks like most specialties are covered.  From the site:

About drawMD

Designed to improve patient understanding of medical problems, drawMD utilizes the iPad's unique interface to allow anyone to sketch, stamp, or type directly on detailed anatomic images. The included images are tailored to each specialty and provide the ability for doctors to communicate and explain treatment plans, including surgical procedures, as well as document these plans for patient records.
…………………………………
Check out Dr Val’s post:   Don’t Fly Delta: Airline Runs Anti-Vaccine Videos Against Medical Advice
I’ve been following the recent Delta airlines flu vaccine kerfuffle with interest and now amazement. After running in-flight infomercials by a notorious anti-vaccine group (NVIC), the American Academy of Pediatrics alerted Delta to the faux pas with a letter from president Robert W. Block, M.D. I had assumed that Delta would be grateful for the head’s up, and would immediately remove the infomercials. Instead, they chose to ignore the letter, denying that they saw any harm in associating themselves with anti-vaccine activists. Despite the warning, they will continue to run the ads through the month of November…..
Which means that I will NOT be flying Delta in the foreseeable future and I hope you won’t either. When US physician organizations are flat out ignored by corporate executives, it leaves us with only one choice – to speak with our feet. Sadly, the bottom line may matter more to them than the health and safety of their passengers.
***
You may sign a petition against Delta’s actions here. Or use the #DontFlyDelta hashtag on Twitter. …….
……………………………….
Another nice piece from @jordangrumet who blogs at In My Humble Opinion: If I Die Young
It's funny how a few words, a phrase, or music can bring back buried memories.
If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a, bed of roses
Sink me in the river, at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

The sharp knife of a short life, oh well
I've had just enough time

I heard this song on the radio this morning. A rush of memories flooded my brain in the form of the smiling face of a beautiful little girl.   …….
…………………………………
The Alliance for American Quilts received 119 quilts for it’s 2011 "Alliances: People, Patterns, Passion" contest.   You can see all the quilts here. My entry was “Redwork Quilt” and is included in Week Two (Mon, Nov. 21- Mon, Nov. 28) quilts being auctioned off.
All contest quilts will be auctioned via eBay starting on Monday, November 14, 2011 and ending December 12, 2011. All proceeds will support the AAQ and its projects. ….
Week ONE auction guide: Monday, November 14 - Monday, November 21 ……
New this year: "Alliances" contest artist's were offered the chance to record their artist's statements thanks to the generous services of AAQ Business member, VoiceQuilt, visit them at www.voicequilt.com.

No comments: