Friday, January 29, 2010

Rainbow Blooming Nine Patch

My friend Vivian asked me to make a quilt for her grand-daughter K.  Vivian speaks of K as her daughter and is raising her as such.  K’s mother (Vivian’s daughter) died a few years ago leaving both of them stunned with grief.   Yet Vivian is one of the most hopeful, resilient people I know.  I was very happy to make the quilt for her.
I choose to make her a bright quilt.  The result is this rainbow blooming nine patch.  It is 45 in X 54 in.  It is machine pieced and quilted.

This near photo shows some of the very simple cross-hatched quilting done.
I found some wonderful fabric for the backing/binding which looks to me like fireworks exploring in all the colors of the rainbow.   The world needs more people like Vivian.

4 comments:

Jabulani said...

Yes, this is my favourite quilt. I too love the colours; the utter vibrancy of it. Amazing.
My mom was raised by her grandmother rather than her mother...long story. God bless all those wonderful people like Vivian and Nanny Annie.

StorytellERdoc said...

If the color that you picked out for Viv and her "daughter" don't match their tenacious spirits, I don't think anything will! Good job!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Good quilt Becky - and good choice for the quilting. I'm slowly trying to teach myself free motion quilting but my loops look more like mountain peaks so grid quilting would probably be a better bet for me! blessings, marlene

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

I LOVE this nine patch! I am a new follower of your blog. Looking forward to following along! :)