Friday, October 17, 2008

Kiri Shawl Finished

I posted information on this shawl early last month.
Here is a knitted shawl that I have been working on for several months now. It gets put aside whenever there is a quilt to work on, but I am slowly getting it finished. I am a self-taught knitter. I have only done a couple of simple sweaters (intimidated by the necks and sleeves) and was not really happy with how they turned out. I usually stick to hats and scarves. A love of lace work has drawn me into knitting shawls. The pattern is from All Tangled Up and is called Kiri Shawl (pdf of pattern). I am using Kid Merino yarn (color 4677). I'll finish it eventually and will show you the finished shawl then.
Well, I finally finished it and promptly gave it to my friend, Dr Val,. Here is a picture of the “blocking” process. The women at the Yarn Shop told me to put the shawl on a towel and use the steam setting on the iron. Just hold the iron near the shawl and give it a blast of steam.
Here is the shawl after blocking it. It turned out pretty good.

10 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

I think your shawl is beautiful. I am not a knitter either, except of dish cloths, and even those I struggle with since I had a TIA in April. I remember how to cast on and how to knit and purl but for the life of me I can't remember how to end unless I look it up every time! Oh well, I have a beautiful shawl a dear friend knitted for me - a prayer shawl - and I take it often to church. It doesn't go with everything but I love it and in my church I often need it. I also have a Pasha? I bought in New York City but it doubles as a dresser scarf so I don't carry it as often. :) Lots of chatter to say I admire your work and especially that you are self taught! blessings, marlene

rlbates said...

Thank you.

Dragonfly said...

That is beautiful!

rlbates said...

Thank you.

Mimi Lenox said...

I could never do this. You are so talented!

Your June 2008 peace globe has been placed in The Peace Globe Gallery
You are officially peace globe #1010.
BlogBlast For Peace ~ November 6, 2008 is going to be awesome! Hope to see you there.

Anonymous said...

I'm the proud owner of this work of art. I promise to send along a photo of me wearing it soon... :)

OHN said...

I am extremely jealous of your talent! I can't even manage to get a simple winter scarf to be the same size on both ends :)!

Beautiful work!

Cathy said...

I love this Dr. Bates. I cannot knit. I have tried it several times, but for me crocheting is much easier.

I can't wait to see the pic. of Dr. Val wearing this shawl.

Anne said...

I'd say it looks much more than "pretty good!" This is a gorgeous piece. I used to knit, and now you have made want to pick up my needles again.

Melissa Gay Art said...

OMG, that is gorgeous!