Saturday, October 11, 2008

Race for the Cure T-Shirt Quilt

Updated 3/2017 -- all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active and it was easier than checking each one.

Today is the Race for the Cure here in Little Rock, Arkansas.  It is the 15th year for the race.  I participated in the first 10, but then it grew so much that I now feel claustrophobic in the crowd.  The growth is a good thing, but I now choose to donate rather than get crushed.  Check out this video of last years race.
One of the good things about this blog is that it has encouraged me to take more (better?) pictures of my quilts than I did.  In 2001, I made a quilt from my race t-shirts and donated it to be used in a Silent Auction.  I don’t recall how much they made, but don’t think it was more than a few hundred dollars.  I found these two pictures of the quilt top prior to it being quilted.  I guess I don’t have any of the finished quilt.  I don’t recall the exact measurements, but would guess that it was something like 65 in X 85 in. 
I did get a very nice thank you card/note from the woman who won it.  She was a breast cancer survivor who in 1997 had a had mastectomy followed by chemotherapy and radiation.  At the time of the note, she was still cancer free.  I hope she remains in good health.

3 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

That's a great idea to make the quilt and donate it. I've never been able to participate but for several years I donated and bought the shirt. Still have them in a drawer... blessings, marlene

rlbates said...

Would love to see your version, Marlene.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, turning several good turns into another good turn.

You're an inspiration. :)