Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Shout Outs

Updated 3/2017 -- photos and all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active and it was easier than checking each one.

Christian Sinclair, M.D., Pallimed, is this week's host of Grand Rounds. Nice edition! You can read it here.
Welcome to another edition of Grand Rounds (v 5.5), the best of the medical blogosphere. Below I have taken the liberty to edit down to what I considered the most provocative, most interesting, or most literary posts published in the last week. I have included all submissions in the first comment of this post so that everyone can see all the posts submitted. (As far as the topic of changing goals of care, there were not enough posts that really focused on the topic so it will be shelved until next time.)
Mother Jones RN (Nurse Ratched's Place) is the host of the current issue of Change of Shift (Vol 3, No 8). It is the Be True to Your School Edition! Go check it out. (photo credit)
Nursing school is hard work. We all had our good days and our bad days, but we somehow made it through nursing school despite our bad hair days. Check out this picture. That’s me taking care of Snoopy back in 1977. Thank God I had my cap to cover that hideous perm! I got this picture out of my school yearbook. Pictures from yearbooks can do a couple of things. They can come back to haunt us as well as teach us about the history of the nursing profession.
Do you enjoy accents? I do. So does JMB (Nobody Important) and she has written an interesting post on them. She begins
You may wish to watch this video before you read further. If not, do watch it afterwards. It's brilliant. Just over two minutes.
21 accents from around the world by Amy Walker

Back in August, a fellow quilter,Helen in the UK, had a nice post on "A Little Something Different". In it she shared a pattern for a burial gown and bonnet set for a female preemie. Recently she shared the pictured (photo credit) burial garment for male preemies/newborns. Most local hospitals will have a need for something like this. Call and ask yours if you are interested in addressing this need.

When I showed burial garments before a couple of people were interested in the patterns. I'm afraid to say the pattern I used for the boy suit, by Barbara Wampler of Florida, is no longer available on the internet. The hat is identical to Barbara's bonnet pattern but with a small brim added. A similar gown, but with a draw sting base, is available from the Carewear site in their newsletter from June 06, but WARNING this is a large PDF file and will take a while to download depending on your connection. Page 27 onwards is the pattern in various sizes. The AC4C yahoo group has a similar pattern, in a smaller size, but with no waistcoat.

Carrie, NeoNurseChic, will be the guest on the Dr Anonymous' Blog Talk Radio show this week. She describes herself this way
I'm one of the many twentysomethings out there trying to make something of herself. I have a bachelor of music degree in piano performance from Penn State University (main campus) and a bachelor of science in nursing degree that I got through an accelerated second-degree program. I'm currently working towards obtaining my master's degree in nursing to become a pediatric nurse practitioner.

No comments: