Saturday, July 31, 2010

Eye Words Quilt -- Work in Progress

My first word quilt was the “Hope quilt” I did for Intueri to make a quilt to help her raise money for Multiple Sclerosis Society.  I ventured into word quilts after finding Lazy Gal Quilting blog.  Earlier this summer, I began playing around with piecing words that have to do with the eye.  I would twitter photos as I made the word blocks.  Turned out to be fortuitous as I somehow (even being careful to check myself) misspelled ophthalmology.

MaryMillsRN caught the mistake and was kind enough to let me know.  It would have been horrible to have completed the quilt and then discovered the misspelling.

@rlbates Do you want me to tell you that ophthalmology is misspelled?

It is machine pieced and measures 50.5 in X 68 in.  I have basted it and am machine quilting it.

Here is a close view to see some of the fabrics and words.
Here is one of my 20/20 (vision).  I am happy with how it is turning out.

9 comments:

Jabulani said...

Will it sound repetitive if I (again) say this is lovely? It makes a lovely contrast to your usual shapes.

hdhindsa said...

I love it!!!
Absolutely brilliant!

rlbates said...

Thank you both!

SeaSpray said...

Ramona ..I just love your quilts. It's so hard to choose ..but I think your scotty quilt is my favorite ..well next to the baby quilt. :)

meant to comment sooner.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Oh my gosh - my best friend from med school will love this. I just dragged all the pics into my iphoto and can't wait to show her!

Great quilt.

Gary M. Levin said...

How can I obtain one of these??

rlbates said...

Health Train, you would have to find someone to make one for you.

Cathy said...

Love your quilt and your blog. I am a long arm quilter and a pediatric RN, so really enjoy following your blog! Thanks!

SeaSpray said...

These quilts would be make a unique, fabulous display in an eye physician's office!