Friday, July 2, 2010

Alzheimer’s Study Quilt Program

A few days ago I received an e-mail from Jeffree Itrich who works with patients in the Alzheimer’s Disease Cooperative Study at the University of California in San Diego.

I am involved in a very special quilt project that is gathering lap-sized quilts for Alzheimer’s research participants. Might you be able to put something on your blog about our project? We are looking for newly made lap-sized quilts. Thank you for whatever you can do.

The Alzheimer's Disease Cooperative Study (ADCS) and the University of California San Diego are able to collect and distribute quilts which brightening the lives of Alzheimer's patients around the nation thanks to a unique donation program.

The Alzheimer’s Study Quilt Program began in late January 2010, jumpstarted by an employee who quilts. The request for needed quilts is then spread via quilting newsletters and blogs.

Communication with Jeffree further defined their definition of lap size. I tend to think of lap size as 40 in X 50 in, but wanted to be sure. Here is the reply I received:

Yes, 40 x 50 or even 35 x 45. Some of our study participants are small women and others are larger men. We’re looking for quilts in all colors so we will have something for everyone. I’ve received a lot of very feminine quilts which I can’t give to men. One woman gave me a very cute quilt made of a fabric featuring old cars. Very cute and very manly.

If you would like to donate a lap-sized quilt to the Alzheimer’s Quilt Study Project, please contact Jeffree Itrich at jitrich@ucsd.edu.

Having just finished this quilt (39 in X 41 in) with no one in particular in mind, I asked if it would be acceptable. The reply was yes, so it is now on it’s way to Ms Itrich to be given to an Alzheimer’s patient.

It is a scrappy serviceable quilt. Both the top and batting layer are pieced to use up scraps. It is machine pieced and quilted.

The next three show some of the fabrics and quilting.


6 comments:

Jabulani said...

This is so lovely. Alzheimers is a cause close to my heart since my Nan died with it. The recipient will be very fortunate to get this gift. God bless you for your thoughtfulness.

Chrysalis said...

I lost my grandmother to that horrible disease, too. Beautiful quilt, Ramona.

Some of that reminds me of stained glass. You should do a stained glass quilt, Ramona...what do you think?

rlbates said...

Someday maybe I will, CA.

BrainDame said...

Fabulous project and wonderful how you have embraced and supported! Lovely quilt, too.

June Calender said...

I read about this program in the AARP Bulletin. As a quilter I especially enjoy making lap size quilts - they're quick and I can use small pieces from my stash. I have a blog that is mainly [but not entirely] about quilting. I will mention the project and your blog in a post in the next day or two. I have two quilts I think are appropriate to send as well. Thanks for posting this.

AmiSimms said...

Every stitch counts! Through the sales of our Priority: Alzheimer's Quilts (9" x 12" maximum) and our other programs, quilters have raised more than $690,000 for Alzheimer's researh.

Quilters are certainly the most generous people around!!!

Ami Simms
Founder & Executive Diretor,
Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative
www.AlzQuilts.org