Friday, November 16, 2007

They didn't fall.

Updated 3/2017-- photos and all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active.

She'd just had a mastopexy the week before and was in for her first postop visit. Before I had a chance to ask how she was, she said to me, "When I went in the bathroom to shower for the first time and took the bra off, you know what struck me?"
I said what I thought she would say because it's what most patients focus on early postop, "The incisions, the new cuts." I was ready to give her a pep talk.
Her reply, "No. They didn't fall. They stayed up! I love them."
She was truly thrilled. I was thrilled. She'd given me a new perspective to give to future patients. Instead of just telling them to remember that the fresh incisions will heal and the scars will fade, I can remind them to "notice that they didn't just fall when you took your bra off".
(photo credit)

1 comment:

Chrysalis said...

There you go Ramona! Now, that's thinking like the patient. Tell them that, and then....tell them the scars will fade. Love your blog.