Saturday, November 10, 2007


Updated 3/2017-- all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active.

On my walk with my dog Rusty this morning, I ran across this decaying log just covered in mushrooms. It's the first log I've ever seen like this. I just want to share this amazing site!
I don't even want to begin to "educate" you as to which wild mushrooms are edible, but I think I did identify these. They look like the picture found here (ID 50). If so they are :
"This mushroom, almost certainly, is Hypholoma fasciculae (the Sulfur Tuft). It is also known as the Clustered Woodlover, and sometimes by Naematoloma fasciculare. It has features as seen in the picture, plus: it's cap is not sticky or slimy. the gills are yellow to greenish-yellow while young and become gray or purplish-black with age, thin stalk (yellow), spores are a deep dark purple/gray/brown and is growing from wood (buried or otherwise). THIS SPECIES IS POISONOUS- do not eat. There is a similar species, but grows only on conifers (Hypholoma capnoides) and it is edible. However, do not eat either of these mushrooms without a thorough knowledge of mushroom identification and practice doing so with the supervision of an experienced mycologist/mushroom hunter."


Edible and Poisonous Mushrooms--MCD online

Wild Mushrooms--Ohio State University Extension Fact Sheet


Dr. Val said...

If they're poisonous, I guess it's important for Rusty not to eat them! Was he tempted?

rlbates said...

No, Val, he wasn't remoted interested in them, but I can't seem to eat anything without his interest in my food.