Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Shout Outs

 Updated 3/2017--photos and all links removed (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active.

Health 3.0 Blog  is the host for this week’s Grand Rounds. You can read this week’s edition here.
Welcome to this week’s edition of Grand Rounds. You can find the medical blogosphere’s best next week at Covert Rationing.
We’ve taken a different approach this week to organizing Grand Rounds. You can find all the submissions below in this post. But, we’ve also selected quotes from each blog and highlighted those on the main page. Consistent with our themes, we’ve also tagged all the posts related to health, happiness, design or innovation. You can search for these tags to see how each theme plays out. We’ve also added bits of commentary to some of the individual quotes and summaries - especially when we’ve read something recently that relates to the general topic or idea………
……………………………
I was aware of this new children’s book "Maggie Goes on a Diet" (I haven’t gotten to read it, but title makes me feel focus is wrong. Should be focused on eating healthy diet.), but @LindaP_MD’s tweet alerted me to a nice interview @drclaire did with @BridgetBlythe on @NECN about the book:  Talking to kids about weight, obesity


…………………………
Did you see the interview Albert Schweitzer (@SchweitzerASF) did with @docgurley?  --“The Addictive Power of Spending One’s Days Doing Something Worthwhile”: Five Questions for a Fellow with Jan Gurley, MD
Since 1979, ASF’s Lambaréné Schweitzer Fellows Program has selected senior U.S. medical students to serve clinical rotations as junior physicians at the iconic Schweitzer Hospital in Lambaréné, Gabon, Africa—the region’s primary source of health care since Dr. Albert Schweitzer founded it in 1913.
Jan Gurley, MD is one of those Fellows. ……….
…………………………………
Check out the interview of @drkt at OnSurg.com:  Featured Surgeon, late summer 2011
First-year surgery resident Dr Katie has been sharing her educational experience online since undergraduate school. OnSurg is grateful for her participation in our Q & A:
What’s your story?
I first knew I wanted to be a doctor my senior year of high school (was going to go into Forensics from 7th-12th), and was told I’d never make it and that I’d change my mind. I knew what I wanted and wanted to prove people wrong at the same time. It wasn’t until the summer after my junior year that I actually had the chance to be in the hospital. When that time came, I knew that medicine was right for me.  ………….
…………………………………………….
H/T to @DrSnit tweeting this:  “Monsters in the Dark by @chemo_babe bit.ly/reZDOi Parenting through cancer. "I don’t want to be the little boy whose mommy died.”   I hope you will go read the entire post.
…………….He grew earnest.
“But your heart will stop beating when you die. You can’t have love without a heart.”
“Love doesn’t just live in my heart. My love for you will continue on in your heart.”
Then he burst into tears and threw his arms around my neck.
“Mommy, I don’t want to be the little boy whose mommy died.”
I embraced him, stunned into silence. I looked for words of comfort. …………….
………………………………..
H/T to @sandnsurf for finding and posting these “highly inappropriate adverts”:  High quality adverts (photo credit) 
……………………………………………..
H/T to @BiteTheDust  for the link to this news article:   13 yr old designs breakthrough solar array based on Fibonacci sequence.
Plenty of us head into the woods to find inspiration. Aidan Dwyer, 13, went to the woods and had a eureka moment that could be a major breakthrough in solar panel design. ………
You can read Aidan’s award-winning essay here, which walks you through his experiment design and his results. But the short story is that his tree design generated much more electricity — especially during the winter solstice, when the sun is at its lowest point in the sky. At that point, the tree design generated 50 percent more power, without any adjustments to its declination angle. …………..
……………………………………..
The International Quilt Festival Summer 2011 Newsletter has a very nice tutorial for making a Patchwork/Purse Tote (pdf).  (photo credit)

No comments: