Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Changes

Due to many things, I will be closing my practice over the next few months and going to work for the Arkansas Disability Determination Services (DDS).  I only recently made the final interview and signed the contract.  My first day there will be October 3rd.  I don’t want to discuss the reasons, but I want you to know how difficult a decision this has been for me.

I have not hinted to patients that I might leave until recently.  I didn’t want them to leave me prematurely, so I now worry that I may not have given them enough heads up.  Such a blurry line between taking care of yourself/family and abandoning patients. 

I don’t think I have abandoned any of them, but I wonder if they might feel that way.  I have managed to “leave the door open” to see current patients on Fridays and Saturdays (if need be) over the next few months. 

Yesterday, I got the letters to patients, organizations (ie AMA, Arkansas State Medical Board, AMS, PCMS, etc), and hospitals in the mail. 

There are many things left to do, but I am fortunate to have a young colleague who is willing to allow me to transfer the charts to him.

I have begun making the phone calls regarding cancelling malpractice insurance, office overhead insurance, etc.   I will have to figure out a new voicemail message and when to change it.

I have been caught mid-contract with several leases (ie Pitney Bowes, credit card processor, and the actual office), but so it goes.  I have yet to talk with the building management.  I am hoping they will be able to sublease it for me.

I hope to continue to blog.  I have to maintain my medical license and do CMEs and blogging has become a way of learning for me.  Not sure what to do with the title as I will no longer be “suturing” for a living, but for now it will stay the same.  I will update the header at some point.

15 comments:

Debbie said...

Does this mean we will see more quilting? That would be a good thing! I wish you good luck with all the changes, Ramona.

ER's Mom said...

Hope everything turns out well. I can completely understand how scary this new step is.

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Wow. Big changes. You had better not give up blogging! I am sure you will be great at your new job - you were born to be an advocate. You will still be suturing - on your quilts - so please don't change your name.

Much love and support during your transition - Elizabeth

Dreaming again said...

I can only imagine how difficult this is for you.Much love and prayers as you go through this transition.

Vijay said...

Big change!
Wishing you the very best in your new endeavour, Ramona.

Amanda said...

Good luck. Change is almost always good in the long run. I wouldn't worry about the title or the blog for now, just let it find itself naturally.

jimbo26 said...

Good luck , young lady , hope everything goes smoothly , Jim ( UK ) ( aka @riiibbit )

Thomas Fiala, MD, FACS, FRCSC said...

Wow. That's a huge change - I'm sure you've done a lot of soul searching to make that decision....
All the best - I hope it works out for you in the best possible way. Please continue writing your blog - I look forward to your well-written plastic surgery posts.

Tom Fiala

Marya Zilberberg said...

Ramona, wow! Another dedicated professional leaving clinical practice. Hoe you have smooth sailing and enjoy the change! PLease, do not stop blogging and tweeting.

Chrysalis said...

You know I wish you all the best. Change is scary, but it can be a wonderful new experience.

Unknown said...

I left the clinic I worked at for 15 years last year and went to work in Urgent Care. Although I miss many of my patients and staff, it is the best move I ever made! Better pay (I was Family Practice) and no call or hospital rounds! I hope you have a similarly positive experience.

Coleen

Anonymous said...

Now that you'll be involved with disability services, you may want to consider trying clothing construction for people with disabilities. I'm a pediatric OT and, for example, kids with spastic hemi-paretic CP have a difficult time getting their involved arm out of pullover shirt sleeves (and they can't use the involved hand to pull the shirt off the uninvolved side first). I don't sew but if the right material & sleeve construction were used, pullover dressing would be easier. Also, jackets are very difficult for a variety of reasons including fastener management.
Well, good luck. I found your blog when searching for information about the LeFort I procedure (I have degeneration of B TMJs with a subsequent open anterior bite).

Dr. A said...

I'm sorry that I didn't know about all this until now. Clinical practice is tough and I've been really struggling with it lately as well - not as much social media stuff lately. Don't get me wrong, I'm not leaving practice as well. But, I guess it's always good to keep options open as time goes along. Best of luck! I really appreciate all the support that you have given me through the years. I hope you still remain active in the social media space.

Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

Wow. Thats big news. Can't imagine why or how you made the decision, but I truly with you the best in your new endeavors.

Agree with other commenters that the name of the blog is the last thing you should worry about right now. Look forward to continuing to read and hoping you'll continue to write the blog.

Maybe one day you'll share a bit more about your decision with us.

Best of luck on your transition.

Peggy

Cynthia Bailey MD, Dermatologist said...

Ditto the Wow of others! I wish you the best of luck with the transition, I find it's those transitions that are the most uncomfortable. I wish you interesting things to think about and do, and tranquility in your new position. It is indeed an interesting time to practice medicine. While I know nothing about your reason for the change, I understand the burdens of running a medical business, it's crushingly difficult nowadays. I do hope you keep blogging and active in social media, I enjoy crossing paths with you there.