Friday, August 26, 2011

Razorback Blanket with Quilted Border

My nephew is headed to my old alma mater, University of Arkansas, this fall.  He is starting law school.  His birthday is in early September.   These two facts and then finding the fleece fabric in the “remnants bind” at Hobby Lobby inspired me to make this.

The fleece piece was not large enough for a guy my nephew’s size (well over 6 ft tall), but I had some left over Arkansas Razorback cotton I had used for a surgeon’s cap.

The border is reversible.  I machine pieced the 4-patches of red and white to the larger black patches.  The end borders (front and back) were sewn to the fleece first.  The fusible batting (good use for leftovers) was carefully placed in-between.  Then the two longer side borders (front and back) were done in the same fashion.

I then machine quilted the border.

Rather than make a label, I used the letter/number feature on my machine to sew one.