Friday, April 9, 2010

Victorian Wheeling Spools Quilt

I began this quilt in the fall of 2008.  I actually finished piecing it nearly a year ago, but until a few months ago had not decided how I wanted to quilt it.  I found two quilting stencils that worked wonderfully. 
The fabric for this quilt was purchased in the 1990s.  It is from a collection of 33 different fabrics called “Victorian Wheeling” which was designed by Jennifer Simpson. I bought a set that included a fat quarter of each fabric. The fabric was then put away until I decided how I wanted to use it:  the spool block.  It combines my sewing (the spool of thread) and does a nice job of showing off the fabrics.
The quilt is machine pieced and quilted.  Each block is 6 in square, but the finished quilt measures 41.5 in due to some slight shrinkage with the quilting.
It is difficult to see the quilting on the black, but on the squares you can see it.   Here are a few close shots so you can appreciate the lovely fabrics.


5 comments:

Barb said...

What an amazing quilt.

StorytellERdoc said...

Hi Ramona

From lipodissolve to quilting...I don't think a person comes more well-rounded than that! :)

Hope your day is a good one.
Jim

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Amazing, as always Ramona! This one is so intricate, it struck me as holographic. I've been trying to teach my kids the meaning of this term on the way to school this week. Need to show them this quilt!

Jill of All Trades, MD said...

i seriously can't believe how talented you are! if i ever consider plastic surgery, i am traveling out of state to see you and only you!

Jabulani said...

I have been looking forward to seeing this quilt finished, and wow, it does not disappoint! I love the way you've quilted each spool in different colours to emphasise each one. And yes, the fabrics are marvellous. Another gorgeous quilt.