Friday, November 28, 2008

Work in Progress

I did my general surgery residency in Wheeling, WV. When this fabric was “issued” more than 10 years ago, I knew I “had to have it”. There were 33 different fabrics in the collection called “Victorian Wheeling” which was designed by Jennifer Simpson. I bought a set that included a fat quarter of each fabric. I put it away. Recently I decided I really needed to decide what to do with it.

After a false start, I settled on the spool block. It seems right to me. It combines my sewing (the spool of thread) and does a nice job of showing off the fabrics.
Each spool block is six inches square. I machine pieced each block, but when I sewed the blocks together by machine I didn’t like the way the “points” came together. I took them apart and sewed the blocks together by hand. The quilt is going to be a wall hanger. I’m going to add a black border with more spools in the corners. I think I may hand quilt this one, but am not sure yet.

5 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Becky the colors are wonderful and I can see why you had to have it. I can't believe you machine sewed them all and then took them apart to hand sew them - sounds like something I would do. :) I know you're going to enjoy it when you're finished, not just because you like the fabric but also for the memories from that time in your life. blessings, marlene

Chrysalis said...

I love this one! Gorgeous. Love the black with it. You are so talented. I think you would like stained glass too.

Jabulani said...

Have just come across this quilt. It looks gorgeous! Whatever happened to it? Did you keep this one? :( I wanna see it finished ... *sulk*

rlbates said...

Jabulani, I haven't quilted it yet. Need to get back to it.

Jabulani said...

ooooh, goody, something else to look forward to then :)