- Don't drive through rising water. It only takes 2 feet of water to carry away most cars and sport utility vehicles. The majority of drowning deaths from flash floods are related to being trapped in the motor vehicle.
- Flash flooding causes most of the fatalities due to natural disasters in the United States.
- Clean up mold and germs from the flood water. Fix any leaking pipes and other water problems and then dry things, or the mold will grow again.
- It is best to wear a respirator mask over your mouth and nose when you clean, so that you do not breathe in a lot of mold. A respirator that protects against mold is called an N-95 respirator.
- Wash your hands often and be careful of cuts and scratches. The water you wade through may be contaminated by sewage overflow or backup.
Picking up the Pieces After a Disaster(American Red Cross)
Arkansas Department of Health--Food and Water Safety Following a Flood - opens as a PDF