Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Girlfriend

My 14 year old female Labrador, Girlfriend, died today. She had quit eating for a couple of days. [Well, she would still eat hot dogs, but not her dog food.] Not a good sign in a Labrador. So I had taken her to her veterinarian yesterday who discovered that she had a low Hct and bleeding in her abdomen from a splenic tumor. [She had just had her yearly exam in mid-July.] So she was scheduled for exploratory surgery this morning. It was bad. The splenic tumor (Canine Hemangiosarcoma) had seeded metastasis all over her abdomen. Her liver was nearly destroyed due to mets. Bill (Dr. Ormsby) called me to give me the news. I asked if I could come and be with her as he gave her the euthanasia injection, and that is what we did. I guess it was a "good death" for her. She was surrounded by people who loved and cared for her.

All this going on and she had never whimpered, never complained. Even Monday evening she had wanted to go on our daily walk which I let her do (though I shortened it and really slowed the pace). She continued to shadow me as I went from room to room at home doing chores or just getting something from another room. My husband called her my "six foot radius" dog, because she hated not being with me. She had such heart! I really miss her.

My heart-felt thanks to the good folks
at Town and Country Animal Hospital.

12 comments:

Dr. Smak said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. Pets fill a spot in the heart that no one else can.

Mitch Keamy said...

We are dog people in my home (three currently)and seeing the boys and girls off when their time has come is hard; I'm glad you were there for the euthanasia. It's the only way. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Mitch

Sevenbeads said...

Girlfriend looks like such a sweetheart. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you always remember her with a smile.

jmb said...

R, I'm so sorry about your beloved dog. It's amazing how dogs carry on with such terrible afflictions and never show it.
My Westie was the same. Stopped eating suddenly and the vet found a huge mass in her abdomen which must have been pressing on her stomach for ages. I too held her in my arms when she was injected. One of the hardest things I have ever done. We had her for fifteen years.
regards
jmb

smalltowndoc said...

First of all my heart-felt condolence on the loss of your pet. Dogs become part of the family after a few days. i can see, that you have been caring for her form the beginning. The fact that you grew two dogs shows that, you are sensitive enough to care for their feelings and needs. Girl friend would have enjoyed her life thoroughly, i am sure. It is sad all good things have to come to an end. i feel bad for Rusty too. i am sure he will miss her more than any of us - smalltowndoc.wordpress.com

Vijay said...

I'm not a pet person, but I can feel the personal loss that you have so eloquently brought out in this farewell post.
My sympathies.
I'm sure you'll have some great memories of the years that you spent with your friend.
Regards,
Vijay.

Shig said...

I'm so sorry about your dog. Several years ago I had a cat die of liver failure. I hope it's a consolation that she was surrounded by people who loved her and that she didn't suffer for a long time.

rlbates said...

Thank you all.

Chrysalis said...

Oh Ramona, I am so sorry. I just saw this post. You know my heart goes out to you. I feel your loss. I just spent last night crying over my dog that passed 3 yrs. ago. I saw a picture of him, and that was all it took. It just feels like your heart will come right out of your chest. I a am so sorry I didn't see this sooner. Huge hugs to you.((( )))

dr_clairebear said...

that was so sad. :( i'm really sorry for your loss - she was your companion for 14 years, so that must have been very hard.

i don't come from a dog-loving culture so those of us who get really attached to our dogs are poorly understood. my non-dog-loving friends wonder why i cried over our family German shepherd when he passed on. but dogs are almost like people in the way they deal with you, and they are sorely missed when they go.

i hope your other, rusty, has already recovered, too. he would have been hit the hardest.

rlbates said...

Thank you Dr Clairebear. I still miss Girlfriend. Rusty is a happy dog who brings us joy.

Dr. Pam said...

So sorry to hear about Girlfriend. We just lost our 14 year old English Setter, Ben, last week. My sympathy...