Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Shout Outs

Updated 3/2017-- photos and all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active. 

ePatient Dave is the host for this week’s “TEDx Maastricht” issue of Grand Rounds! You can read this week’s edition here.
Welcome to Grand Rounds for May 10, 2011!
I have a confession: I’m new at this. My initial exposure to Grand Rounds a while back gave me a warped view, and as I worked on this project, I was a little bit graceless. (Those of you who wrote to me about it know what I mean. I meant well…)
This week’s theme is the TEDx Maastricht conference that happened April 4. But first -
These news highlights were submitted:
  • Dr. Ed Pullen’s “Medical blog for the informed patient” is not thrilled about Vimovo, a new drug for osteoarthritis. Pullen believes in letting people know what’s going on behind the scenes. …
……………………………
Congratulations to fellow physician/blogger Dr. Chris Coppola (@chriscoppola) who shared this tweet recently:
Some exciting news! 'Coppla: A Pediatric Surgeon in Iraq' has won the 2011 Montaigne Medal, the Eric Hoffer award... http://fb.me/AE0vuaIA
Chris blogs at “Coppola: A Pediatric Surgeon in Iraq”
……………………………….
Shared on twitter by @EllenRichter “Wonderful way to end Nurses Week! What an honor! "First #Nurse Nominated as Army Surgeon General" http://goo.gl/IJq3A” (photo credit)
Maj. Gen. Patricia Horoho would become the first nurse and the first woman to serve as the Army Surgeon General if the Senate confirms her nomination and simultaneous promotion to lieutenant general, which were announced by Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Tuesday.
Horoho currently serves as Army deputy surgeon general and 23rd chief of the U.S. Army Nurse Corps. …
…………………………….
Did you every read “The House of God” by Samuel Shem, MD? Fellow blogger @inwhiteink shared a link on twitter to a wonderful essay by Shem: Fiction as Resistance (pdf)
I was a writer before I was a doctor. From an early age I was concerned with suffering and understanding, and I often turned to stories for solace. I loved stories long before I knew they were an essence of good doctoring—shared stories that bring solace, understanding, and healing to others. …... My early answers to the question, “What is healing?” came from these stories. I still have a piece of an envelope on which I copied part of a letter Chekhov wrote to an editor who had criticized his story “Ward Number Six”: “The best of writers are realistic and describe life as it is, but because each line is saturated with the consciousness of its goal, you feel life as it should be in addition to life as it is, and you are captivated by it” (1).
Life as it should be in addition to life as it is. Without
realizing it until many years later, this would become the motor of my writing. ……….
…………………….
This past Sunday I caught this interview by CBS Sunday Morning of Christy Turlington discussing her life and her new project “Every Mom Counts

Later the same morning, I saw this tweet from @DrJenGunter
RT “@CTurlington: Pls rd my @HuffingtonPost blog posting"Sacrifices of Motherhood" 4 #MothersDay huff.to/lVYMR4 @everymomcounts”
……………………………………………..
Ever wonder what type of tree you have encountered in the park or on a walk? Nick Genes, MD (@blogborygmi) tweeted about a new (free) iPhone app which identifies trees from photos of the leafs from on twitter: For The High-Tech Naturalist: LeafSnap Identifies Leaves Using Your iPhone’s Camera (photo credit)

I’d like an app like this for identify edible wild greens/foliage.
……………………………………..
Just How Dangerous Is Sitting All Day? [INFOGRAPHIC] (photo credit)  --  Remember to get up and move!

No comments: