Wednesday, March 16, 2011

In Stitches: a book review

 Updated 3/2017-- photos and all links removed as many are no longer active and it was easier than checking each one.

I was given the book In Stitches to review.  The book is a memoir written by fellow blogger and plastic surgeon Anthony Youn, MD.
Having lived through medical school and residency, I don’t tend to read memoirs of the experience, so it is not a book a would tend to gravitate towards.
Having said that, I enjoyed reading it.  Dr. Youn has an easy to read writing style.  He tells his story with a lot of humor throw in. 
His Korean father, an ObGyn in Michigan decided his son would be “A doctor. Surgeon.” when his son is only 2 days old.  Dr. Youn goes to medical school for his father, but along the way learns to love the discipline and maintain his humanity.
You can read excerpt from In Stitches  here.  If you love memoirs, if you enjoy reading about the effort it takes to become a physician, if you enjoy good books; then you will enjoy this one.

In addition to the book’s website, there is a Facebook page and a book trailer on youtube.
You can follow Dr. Youn on twitter:  @TonyYounMD

1 comment:

Cythia Bailey MD, Dermatology said...

Thanks for putting this on my radar. I enjoyed the YouTube. After the past days of a very stressful electronic health records conversion in my office I can use all the cheerful diversions I can find (so long as the don't take more than a few minutes because I have days of customizing this thing still ahead before it's actually efficient). The video was a nice little reminder of my med school friends, who were diverse, talented and fun in the 'trenches' during our all-consuming educational experience. We really are lucky, EHR or not.