Thursday, May 21, 2009

Theda Ann Sowell (1934 – 2009)

Updated 3/2017-- photo and all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active. and it was easier than checking each one.

My mother died peacefully Tuesday, May 19, 2009, in the presence of some of her family.  We were fortunate to have had a lovely Mother’s Day with her.  We had given her a digital camera which she was so very excited about learning to use.  Her grand-daughter Krystal showed her the basics while we ate lunch together.  She promptly took some photos at the restaurant table.  The next morning she was trying to take photos of birds at her bird feeder when she had her heart attack. 
This past week while attending her “deathbed” at the hospital, family and friends came and went, sharing wonderful stories about her and us.  It was a time of grieving, but also of celebration of her life.  We have continued to try to do so as we have gone through the steps of planning the funeral.  We are so very grateful to all our extended family, friends, co-workers, etc who have held us in their thoughts and prayers.  Thank you.
You can read her obituary here and my previous posts here and here.

12 comments:

ER's Mom said...

So sorry.

(((((((hugs))))))) are all we can offer.

dreamingspires said...

Thank you - for sharing your mum and something very personal with us.

AB said...

So sorry for your loss.

Øystein said...

My sincere condolences to you and your family, Ramona.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

denverdoc said...

Oh my, so sorry to read about your mother. What a lovely smile she had! All my best wishes to you and your family as you come together to remember her and seal her forever in your hearts.

Chrysalis said...

I send a huge cyber hug to you, my friend. I am so sorry for your loss.

SeaSpray said...

Ramona... I am so very sorry about your Mom. She looks like she was a lovely woman... and going by how sweet I know you are.. I am sure she was.

She knew you were there and it's great that so many got to come in to see her. I wasn't sure if mom was still present enough to hear us talk to her, but trust if she wasn't that God helped her hear in her spirit. And They feel our love.

You are in my thoughts and prayers and may God fill you with the peace that surpasses all understanding.

SeaSpray said...

I hope you don't mind if I add something else.

My uncle Jim had been set up with hospice in his daughter's home. My mother and I were able to be up there the last couple of days of his life. Fortunately, we were able to get there the last night he was able to verbally communicate... which was strained for him at best because he was becoming increasingly weaker.

I spent some quality alone time with him. he has 2 daughters. he told me that the most important thing is you want your children to turn out alright. That was a deathbed statement that I passed on to my cousins.

He was speaking with a father's heart (their mother already passed on)and I believe was speaking about what was most important to him..his girls (adult women) and that he wanted them to be okay. By the next morning he was septic, spiked a fever and could no longer communicate. But I know he was happy we were all together and it reassured him that his girls wouldn't be alone.

I know he could hear us..laughing, crying..celebrating life, grieving... but we were together and I know that gave him reassurance.

I believe your mom also got that same reassurance from all of you and she knew she was loved and that you'd have each other.

Please forgive me for overstepping my bounds and going on about things you know. It just helped me when people reminded me of things after Mom died.

Please feel free to delete this.

Take care. :)

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

So sorry for your loss. Nice knowing that she was doing something fun, though! Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Nathan Strange said...

I lost my father a few years ago and am absolutely *terrified* of losing my mother.

My heart goes out to you...

N

Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

Oh Ramona, I am so sorry for your loss.

Peggy