Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Shout Outs

Updated 3/2017-- photos and all links removed as many are no longer active and it's easier than checking each one.

NurseAusmed is this week's host of Grand Rounds.  You can read it here.
Welcome to Nursing Handover! This is my first time hosting Grand Rounds. I hope you enjoy your weekly medblog binge!
I’ve chosen to present this week’s rounds without a theme, although a suggested topic for those with blogger’s block was “best (or worst) experience with inservice training, clinical education or CME”. All submissions have been included, with the best (in my highly subjective judgement) featured.
Here at Nursing Handover I’ve been displaying some of the interesting images available under the Creative Commons licenses with posts. I’ve featured some more particularly evocative photography here.
The latest edition of Change of Shift (Vol 3, No 22)  is hosted by Gina over at Code Blog: Tales of a Nurse!   You can find the schedule and the COS archives at Emergiblog. 
Happy Spring everyone!  Welcome to this edition of Change of Shift.
I typically do not ask for themed submissions, but I did this time.  The theme of this CoS is being human - describing those moments of human error or letting our less-than-professional side show.  I described my own less-than-professional moment here.  Yes, it’s an old post, but relevant to theme.

Dr Isis, On Becoming a Domestic and Laboratory Goddess, has begun a project I will be watching and reading with interest "The Letters to Our Daughters Project".  Thinking I will forward them to my nieces, hoping to inspire them.
It's not a secret that the largest attrition among female scientists happens in the transition between trainee and faculty. I also think that, for better or worse, there are things that are unique to being a female scientist that affect the ability/willingness of women to pursue careers in science.  ……….
The first letter is from Dr Pascale Lane.

Kim, Emergiblog, writes about the new Showtime series, Nurse Jackie, in her post Negative nurse stereotype promoted by Showtime in attempt to capture House MD ratings?
My first reaction?
Oh..my..god, they did it!
They made a show with a strong nurse protagonist, and damn! if they didn’t get the ER environment down!
I had goosebumps, literally.
I was ready to (a) start getting Showtime, (b) spread the word far and wide and (c) take the job.
But then…


JSE Booth, The Scut Report, has a nice list of references related to reading chest x-rays.
I like chest x-rays. They make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. So much so, in fact, that I’ve created this nifty little reference sheet. Please note, however, that I am not a radiologist nor do I play one on TV. In fact, at the time I am writing this, I’m not technically a doctor yet. One more month. ……….

Check out this link from “A Repository for Bottled Monsters” in their post – Paper Cutting Wow!   Amazing work!
This is a paper cut by American artist Hunter Stabler called "Baba Yaga Misquotes the Face to Steeleye Span." Not all of his work is anatomical, but it's all fantastic. What skill and patience.




This week Dr Anonymous  doesn’t seem to have a guest, but he always finds something interesting to discuss so I hope you will join us.  The show begins at  9 pm EST. 
You can check out the archives of his Blog Talk Radio show.  

No comments: