Saturday, December 6, 2008

Quilt Auction for Zippy’s Charity

Updated 3/2017-- photos and all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active. and it was easier than checking each one.  

The auction for this quilt started on Monday, December 1.  Currently, the bid is at $300 (LQ004).  I’m reposting the  particulars regarding the auction and how to bid (see below) to try to keep the interest up.  Remember it is for a good cause and if the bid is too high for your budget, perhaps you can make a small donation instead.   Several of you have done just that (made donations rather than bids) and I and Zippy thank you all.
…………………………………………….

That charity is  Childhood Brain Tumor Foundation - MD.  If you would like to simply donate to the charity rather than make a bid you can do so here. 
For the entire story (and more photos), see the previous posts here and here and here
The item being auctioned is this wall hanging quilt. It is a Lobster Hawaiian Appliqué.  It is 41 in X 41 in.  It is machine appliqued and machine quilted.  There is hand embroidery around the appliqued edges. 
 

Here are the rules for this silent on-line auction:
  • I have set up an e-mail account for the sole purpose of this auction.  It is lobsterquilt(AT)gmail(DOT)com
  • If you wish to make a bid, email me at the above address with “auction” in the subject line.  Include your name, the amount of the bid, and a working email address.  I will e-mail you back that the bid was received and give you an identifier number.  This will be how I “track” each bidder and their subsequent bids.
  • The bidding will start at $200.  The minimal increment will be $10 for subsequent bids, though I would love to see the increments increase by $25 or more.
  • Several times a day, during my awake hours and as work permits, I will tweet and post the current bid and time it was received.  The bidder’s name will not be posted, but the bidder’s identifier number will be.
  • So you can check my tweets or check back here to see how the bid is going.  Take note:  I will mainly use twitter for the updates!
  • If you have sent a bid to me that was higher than the one posted, please, be aware of the time received (it will be CST) and either recheck later or e-mail me again.  We all know that sometimes e-mails are lost.
  • The auction will last two weeks.  Bidding starts Monday December 1st at 6 am (CST) and closes on  Monday December 15th at noon (CST).   I will notify the winner by e-mail shortly thereafter. 
  • The winning bidder will be required to make a donation here at First Giving in the amount of the bid (or higher) and asked to leave a comment “I won the lobster quilt!”  They will then need to forward a copy of their receipt so that I can match the name/e-mail address to the winning bid.  This will need to be done within 48 hrs (or by December 17, 5 pm)
  • Once the donation is confirmed, then arrangements will be made with the winning bidder on shipping.  Shipping costs and any insurance will be the winner bidders responsibility.  Options will be US Postal, Fed Ex, or UPS.
So let the bidding begin!

2 comments:

Jabulani said...

Just wanted you to know that I listened to Enrico's show (via Bongi's blog). Which prompted me to go looking for your quilt as discussed. I was interested because I sew too, (although not prolifically quilting) so I wondered what £160 would buy me. I'd be extremely surprised if it purchased me your quilt. For that beautiful piece of art, I'd expect to pay way more!! All the best with your auction.

rlbates said...

Thank you very much Jabulani!