Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas to you!

Updated 3/2017-- all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active. and it was easier than checking each one. 

You know I love my dog Rusty.   I used to make Columbo, Girlfriend, and Ladybug home-made dog biscuits for Christmas.  I didn’t make any last year when it was just Rusty.  I decided I needed to make him some this year. 
I found this recipe years ago at a site that doesn’t seem to be active anymore.  It can be found here though.  My dog  loves them, as do the neighbors’ dogs.  I’m sharing the recipe with you.   If your toddler wants to sample them, it’ll be okay.  My husband likes them too.
 

Fido’s Fabulous People Biscuits
1/4 cup hot water                                  1 1/2 cups tomato juice
8 cubes chicken bouillon cube         2 cups  all purpose flour
1 pkg  dry yeast                                       2 cups  wheat germ
1 tsp  sugar                                                1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

Preheat oven to 300° F. 
Pour the water into a large bowl and add the sugar and yeast.  Let stand for about 5 minutes.
Add chicken bouillon cubes.  Crush them with a fork as you stir them in.  Add tomato juice, 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of wheat germ.  Stir with a large spoon to form a smooth batter.
Then stir in the remaining flour (both kinds).  This will make the dough very dry and stiff.  You’ll probably have to use your hands to finish mixing. 
Divide the dough into two balls.  Sprinkle flour on the counter surface and roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.  You can use a table knife to cut the dough into “people” shapes or do as I did and use cookie cutters in the shapes of bones and fire hydrants.
Place the biscuits onto a cookie sheet.  Bake at 300° F for 1 hour.  Afterwards, let them dry in the turned off oven for quite a while (4 hrs or more).


Merry Christmas!


1 comment:

mark's tails said...

Wow, you have been busy this past week. So many posts to catch up on. BTW the nine patch baby quilt is another Beauty.

Every year my parents would go to one of his friends house and help them make huge batches of dog and cat biscuits/treats, they would package and sell them and the money would be donated to the local animal shelters. I'm not sure what recipe they used, but yours certainly sounds delicious.