Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Shout Outs

Updated 3/2017 -- photos (except for mine) and all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active and it was easier than checking each one.

First, it’s Veteran’s Day here in the United States, so if you haven’t seen this story of how GruntDoc’s blog helped out (via one of his readers)  veteran SSGT Robert Toland, then you need to check this post out.
Watch the video here, and enjoy the sight of regular people pitching in to help other people.  Beautiful.
Backstory here and here.

I caught this story on NPR this morning as I drove in to work.  It is  'American Widow Project' Born From Grief” by Glorida Hillard.  I hope you will check it out.  These young women (and their families) need to be remembered today too.
Taryn Davis was just 21 years old when her husband was killed in Iraq. As an young widow, she felt bereft, and very alone. She channeled her grief into the "American Widow Project."

Dr Rob, Musings of a Distractible Mind,  is this week's host of Grand Rounds.   The “job advice” edition! You can read it here (photo credit).

Interestingly, on Wednesday I got the following email:
Dear Dr. Rob:
I have been gunning for this job for over four years and just landed it this week.  I am real excited about it, but need some advice on how to do it best.
What advice can you give me?
Anonymous (my name rhymes with “no llama”)!

November is Pet Cancer Awareness Month.  The Days of Johann, an agility dog! has a nice post on it.  I know many of us have lost dogs to cancer.  You can read about my losses here, here (Ladybug is the one in the picture), and here.   Recently, Shadowfax lost his dog to canine cancer.  Orac's dog Echo died back in July of canine cancer.

And if you’ve ever wondered how a C-section is done, then check out this simulated one (via Kevin, MD).  Have to agree – cool.
Cool. (via The Well-Timed Period)

A thoughtful post from T, Notes of an anesthesioboist, on the recent Boston Globe article regarding drug use in anesthesiologists -- Fallen.  Very sad topic.
The Boston Globe article paints the picture all-too-clearly: "He was dead when they found him in the storage closet at the hospital...There was a half-filled vial of propofol...a syringe filled with midazolam...empty vials of morphine, hydromorphone, and Demerol...And then there was one nearly empty vial of vecuronium - an intravenous muscle relaxant that...would shut down the body's respiratory system in roughly three minutes, leading to certain death."
It's that last sentence that I found so chilling………. How horrifying and sad and awful.



Sterile Eye will be the guest on the Dr Anonymous' Blog Talk Radio show this week.  He is a Norwegian medical photographer.  He often shares his work on his blog.  I hope you will check it out.
I also hope you will join us this Thursday night at 8 pm CST (or 1 am GMT) both to listen to the show and to participate in the chat room. That's where all the fun is.

1 comment:

sober white women said...

I will have to go check out those links. My husband is a disabled veteran, and I love hearing stories from other veterans. Thank you for sharing the links.
Kelli