Friday, September 26, 2008

Mr J's Zoo Quilt

This quilt is for a friend's son, Mr J. The only request was "bright colors". I came across the almost pastel zoo fabric (only about 0.5 yd) in the fabric my neighbor had given me a few months back. I thought it was perfect for a small boy and found the blue and green in the same fabric stash. It seemed that the "attic windows" block would work. I only had enough of the zoo fabric for the 12 blocks which didn't make the quilt large enough. As luck would have it, the same fabric-gift-stash had the wonderful strip fabric in primary colors which made a perfect border. 


The quilt is machine pieced and quilted. It is 38.5 in X 48 in. The borders are mitered. Here is a detail picture of some of the blocks.


For the backing, I came across this great hippopotamus fabric. There wasn't quite enough, but I had more of the blue to add to it. So Mr J will have animals on both front and back of his quilt. 

4 comments:

Bongi said...

beautiful. if your surgery is half as good as your quilting, you're an excellent surgeon.

rlbates said...

Thank you, Bongi.

Unknown said...

Wow, you do deliver -- bright colors, handsome pattern and very cool fabrics. (I am also quite taken with that hippo fabric, nice of the neighbor to share!) Once again, envy you your needlework skills!

tl

Cathy said...

You will make that little guy very happy. It's beautiful and it may be my favorite. but then I think that with each new one you make. I love the backing!

I don't know if I told you but a friend of mine brought me boxes of fabric for quilts. It was what they found in her mother's house after she had passed away. I was honored that she thought to give it to me.

I just have to find time to get serious about trying to make one.