I learned a new word recently.
adjective: Having well-shaped buttocks.
From Greek calli- (beautiful) + pyge (buttocks). Two related words are dasypygal and steatopygia.
"And it hasn't been lost on modern film directors that a nice set of tights can showcase the callipygian assets of a well-formed leading man."Heroes in Hosiery; South China Morning Post (Hong Kong); Jul 20, 2006
The features that are common to attractive youthful, female buttocks in all ethnic groups include:
- A smooth inward sweep of the lumbosacral area and waist.
- A very feminine cleavage as the buttocks separate superiorly and inferiorly.
- Maximum prominence in the mid to upper buttocks.
- There should be minimal infragluteal crease, with no droop above this line.
Even with the difference in cultural ideas of the "ideal" buttock, the above features hold. Some ethnic differences include (some good photos can be found here):
- will generally want buttocks that are full but not really large.
- fullness of the lateral thigh is considered objectionable.
- Some prefer a full rounded lateral buttocks.
- Others prefer a flat or hollow lateral buttock (considered a more "trim" or athletic look).
- prefer buttocks that are very full.
- lateral buttocks that are very full
- a slight fullness in the lateral thigh.
- prefer buttocks that are shapely but small to moderate in size
- little or no fullness in the lateral buttocks or lateral thigh.
- have a strong and consistent cultural ideal of very large buttocks
- often will request a "shelf" (extreme prominence of the upper buttocks)
- prefer very full lateral buttocks
- a very full, prominent trochanteric area of the lateral thighs is considered attractive by both men and women in this culture
Combination of the Above
And don't forget these exercises that help tone and bulk up the glutes. You can find them here or a video here or this youtube video (the one below) or this one,
Dr Thomas L Roberts, III, MD, FACS Website: BetterButtocks.com (nice photos and patient information)
Body Contouring, Buttocks Surgery; eMedicine Article, Dec 19, 2006; Robert F Centeno MD and Neal R Reisman MD, JD
Body Contouring, Flankoplasty, and Thigh Lift; eMedicine Article, Feb 25, 2008; Keith M Robertson MD and Bruce G Freeman MD
Beautiful Buttocks: Characteristics and Surgical Techniques. Clin Plast Surg, July 2006;33(3):321-32; Cuenca-Guerra R, Lugo-Beltran I (abstract available here)
Buttocks Lifting: How and When to Use Medial, Lateral, Lower, and Upper Lifting Techniques; Clin Plast Surg. July 2006;33(3):467-78; Gonzalez R. (abstract available here)
Gluteoplasty; Aesthetic Surgery Journal, Vol 23, No 6, pp 441-455; Constantio G Mendieta MD (abstract available here)
Gluteal Aesthetic Unit Classification: A tool to Improve Outcomes in Body Contouring; Aesthetic Surgery Journal, Vol 26, No 2, pp 200-208; Robert F. Centeno MD (abstract available here)
Gluteal Reshaping; Aesthetic Surgery Journal, Vol 27, No 6, pp 641-655; Constantino G Mendieta MD (abstract available here)