I couple of weeks ago when walking my dog early one Sunday morning, we came upon a snake with another snake in its mouth (similar to this). I was left wishing I'd had my camera with me. Then earlier this week on Twitter, there was quite a discussion going on after Theresa admitted a patient with a rattle snake bite. So I thought I would re-post my June 7, 2007 post on Snake Bites. Here it is
- Preventing systemic absorption of the toxin which may be done with compressive dressings and immobilization of the bitten extremity.
- If signs of envenomation begin to occur, a constriction band to impede lymphatic flow should be placed on the extremity, proximal to the bite. Transport to a hospital should take place immediately.
- The site should be wiped off and cleaned. The use of field first-aid methods such as incision and suction, tourniquets, and cryotherapy has been associated with a threefold increase in the likelihood of the need for surgical intervention.
- Although popular belief has it that snakebites kill within minutes, in fact, the toxicity from snake venom usually does not even begin to affect the body for several hours. In one review, 64% of deaths from snakebite occurred between 6 and 48 hours after the patient was bitten.