Friday, July 11, 2008

Lauren's Quilt

My neighbor recently gave me several bags of fabric. She had received them from an aunt who was moving into a retirement community and downsizing. Lots of fat quarters (approximately 18 in X 22 in size pieces of fabric for you non-quilters), some half yards, and even some that are 1-3 yd lengths.
This quilt started out with me playing around with double 4-patches made from some of the fat quarters. I had twelve 8.5 in square blocks (including seam allowances). How to set them? I looked through the fabric and found the floral. Just enough for six squares. Then I found the lovely blue for the outer triangles. While I was trying to decide if I wanted to add more to make it larger, I heard of someone who needed a baby quilt. Even better, the baby is a girl. So I decided it was a perfect size, 33.5 in X 44.5 in.

Here you can see the fabric a little better. It is machine quilted with a pale rose color thread on the front.

I wish the quilting showed up better in this picture of the back. The back is a ecru daisy pattern fabric. The bobbin thread color is ecru. It really looks nice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous quilt, Ramona. I love the colors. I think, from looking at the beautiful quilts you make, that you would some awesome stained glass pieces. It takes a certain eye to look at the patterns in the glass, and cut them in a way that brings it to life when it's put together. I'm glad you post your work. You have some of the most beautiful quilts I've seen.

rlbates said...

Thank you, Chrys.

Anne said...

I love that you took someone else's stash and created a perfectly harmonious blend of print and color! That's not an easy task, but such a project brings out the "artist" in a quilter.

I hope the baby who received this quilt enjoys its warmth, comfort and beauty until the edges are threadbare!

rlbates said...

Thank you, Anne. I'm going to have fun playing with the gifted fabrics. Several will end up "scrapy" as there won't be enough yardage not to. Still I don't mind. I like scrape quilts.