Friday, July 4, 2008

American Flag with Purple Heart

I love flag quilts. This one is a larger version of the one on the left side bar (that hangs in my office). It is a basic brick pattern for the strips. This large version has bricks that are 4 in X 8 in (4.5 X 8.5 in with seam allowances). I put a purple heart in the blue field. The strips are 2 in wide (2.5 in with seam allowance) and vary in length. The finished quilt top is 52.5 in X 80.5 in. I will be sending it to a long-arm quilter as part of the Quilts of Valor Foundation program (QOV). The finished quilt will be given to a soldier.

Here is a close view of the heart.
Thanks to all the soldiers and their families for their service to this country, to us all.

3 comments:

Dr. Smak said...

Love the purple heart touch - what a great way to support our troops!

Jennie, Army Mom said...

your flag is backwards, ie: the field of blue is supposed to be in the upper left (as you look at it) corner...

rlbates said...

Thanks. I know that but I this way the quilt can be hung horizontal or vertical and not look upside down