Thursday, February 28, 2008

University of Arkansas Physics Centennial


Updated 3/2017-- photos and all links removed as many are no longer active and it's easier than checking each one.

I am more excited than I should be to be attending the 100th Year of Physics at the University of Arkansas in early April. I finally got someone to trade unassigned ER call weeks with me so that I can go. That's right I am a physics nerd, as my kid sister (now 46 yo) would say. I graduated with a BA Physics degree from U of A in 1978. I am look forward to visiting with the professors and fellow graduates.
I will get to hear Dr. Wolfgang Ketterle give the Centennial Maurer Distinguished Lecture. The title of the lecture is "New Forms of Quantum Matter Near Absolute Zero temperature". I hope I won't feel too lost. I have not kept up with the changes in Physics. (We all know it's tough enough keeping up with the changes in medicine.)
I have made my hotel arrangements, made arrangements for Rusty (my chocolate Labrador), and am mentally packing.

2 comments:

Gurdonark said...

When I just googled up to find the centennial to tie down a scheduling detail, I happened upon your post here.

I remember 1977, when you worked at the electronics lab, and I was a freshman working with the Heathkit electronics assignments.

I went into law rather than physics, and plan to attend a goodish bit of the reunion, though sadly I will only get to do Friday afternoon through Saturday and will thus miss the Thursday lecture.

It should be fun! See you there.

Robert Nunnally

rlbates said...

Look forward to seeing you there too!