Friday, February 22, 2008

Boston Commons Minature Quilt

I made this Boston Commons miniature quilt, 24 inches X 27 inches about 10 years ago. A few months ago, I gave it to a friend. I lived in Boston (well Jamaica Plains) for two years when I was a plastic surgery resident at Boston University Hospital (trained at that hospital, the VA, Boston City Hosp, and Lahey Clinic). I enjoyed my time there.
The Sunshine and Shadow instructions given here can be used to make the Boston Commons quilt. They are similar. Some think the Boston Commons to be a variation of the Sunshine and Shadow quilt pattern based on how the Commons of Boston is laid out. Eleanor Burns published a nice instructional book on the Boston Commons quilt.
Here is a close up.
I used fall colors because New Englands falls are so lovely.
The back is show so you can see the quilting detail.
My friend's cat who has fallen in love with the quilt.
I love that!

5 comments:

Dr. Val said...

You can tell that the kitty really loves the quilt. She couldn't be removed from it long enough to even get the picture taken! :)

Now your blog has 3 themes: surgery, quilting, and pets. :)

Nice photos.

jude said...

cats and quilts go together.

rlbates said...

My dogs have always thought they needed to lay on mine. :)

jmb said...

Lovely quilt R, the quilting on the back is wonderful.
There is a lady who makes quilts for cats. This is the site where she shows them off. They are 25x25 inches.

rlbates said...

Thanks JMB. I checked the site. Nice quilts.