Monday, December 17, 2007

Dan Fogelberg (Aug 13, 1951-Dec 16, 2007)


Updated 3/2017-- photos and all links  removed as many are no longer active and it was easier than checking each one.



Dan Fogelberg died yesterday, Dec 16, 2007, at his home in Maine after battling prostate cancer. He was "big" in the 70's during my college years, so his music is associated with good memories for me. Please go to the Prostate Cancer Foundation for more information on the disease (diagnosis, treatment, etc).
From his official Web site
Sunday, December 16
Dear friends,
Dan left us this morning at 6:00am . He fought a brave battle with cancer and died peacefully at home in Maine with his wife Jean at his side. His strength, dignity, and grace in the face of the daunting challenges of this disease were an inspiration to all who knew him.

He had a long list of songs (lyrics can be found here), but at this time of year it's the Same Auld Lang Syne always brings tears to my eyes.


6 comments:

Simon Elisha said...

A wonderful soul has moved on to a better place. He will be greatly missed! His influence over my life is immeasurable. Even my book is dedicated to: "My father - the leader of my band." God bless Dan, Jean, and all Fogelberg fans.

Unknown said...

Hey Ramona,

Thank you for posting this, and a great YouTube clip too. Glad you shared it.

He died too young! He was so popular-- that was back in my happy days too. Hadn't thought of him or his music for a long time but that photo you posted brought it all back.
tl

rlbates said...

Thank you both. He will be missed.

Terry at Counting Sheep said...

Wow, I remember him! What a trip down memory lane, and how sad that his flame is gone. Thank you for a great tribute to him, and reminding me of his beautiful voice and songs.

rlbates said...

Terry, thank you for your kind comment. You are very welcome.

Metamatician said...

I know this comment is coming very late, but Dan was a teenage hero of mine in that, as a fledgling poet with dreams of being a singer-songwriter myself, it was to him probably more than any other I was drawn.

The world certainly HAS lost a tremendous spirit with his passing, but not the love and admiration of his many lifelong fans. Dan will live on forever in my music collection and in my heart. Thanks for the post.