Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Shout Outs

Updated 3/2017-- photos and all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active. 

Bedside Manner is the host for this week’s issue of Grand Rounds! You can read this week’s edition here (photo credit).
Welcome to Get Better Health’s Grand Rounds, Volume 7, Number 30.  This week’s theme borrows from Patriot’s Day which commemorates the anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts, the first battles of the American Revolutionary War, on April, 19, 1775.    …….…..
……………………………
Emily, @crzegrl15, who used to blog at crzegrl, flight nurse has come back to blogging with a new blog name:  FlightEMS.com.  She tells her blogging story in her post, After Seven and a half years, crzegrl.net becomes FlightEMS.com
Seven and a half years is a long time. My very first post on crzegrl was on 12 November 2011, a fitting date for me as so many major events have happened on that day for me.
I swore into the Army.
I closed on my first home.
My friend Danny died.
My blog was born.
I remember purchasing my first domain in 1999 (homesickangel.net) and struggling to create what was, then, an online journal, on software that didn’t easily support the idea. Who would have predicted that I would be considered an old timer in the blogging world. ……
……………………………….
H/T to @drval, Better Health,  for putting together her #HealthyRT : Join The HealthyRT Experiment: Let’s Use Twitter To Drown Out Health Misinformation
A few days ago I published a blog post about Dr. Mehmet Oz NOT being a trustworthy source of health information. It set off a firestorm of blog comments, tweets, and Facebook sharing – all because people (like me) had developed sincere concerns about the safety of viewers who might take his advice to heart. The outpouring of commentary, and the rapidity of the response made me wonder: can we harness this power for future good? Could we counter Dr. Oz’s (and others like him) misinformation with peer-reviewed content that’s easily accessible by Twitter and Facebook? ……….
…………………………………….
Check out the guest post on KevinMD  by Roy Benaroch, MD:  Should the HPV vaccine be given to boys?
Beth wrote, “I plan on having my daughter vaccinated against HPV when she’s the right age (which is what by the way?). Recently, some friends were saying they were planning to have their sons receive the vaccine as well because although males obviously don’t get cervical cancer, they can spread HPV and put their future partners at risk. Is this true?”
Yes, men can catch HPV infections, and spread them to women. But that might not be reason enough to have your son vaccinated.
………………………………………..
The current edition of the American Quilter magazine has an article: Children Speak Through Quilting – which features Ramona Lindsey’s project which began when she was a teacher at Woodlawn Community School.  Because a subscription is required to view the online article (p 30-32), I went searching for a free article to show you the work:  Check Out the Stop the Violence Traveling Quilts Exhibit (photo credit)
Mrs. Ramona Lindsey’s Fourth graders, in partnership with Woodlawn Community School, are taking their feelings about the high level of violence in Chicago through the Stop the Violence Traveling Quilts Exhibit.  Drawings are used to share how they really feel.  While some pictures spoke louder than others, the messages were all the same – STOP THE VIOLENCE!

No comments: