Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dynamed/Skyscape

Updated 3/2017--  all links (except to my own posts) removed as many are no longer active and it was easier than checking each one.

A week ago I attended a lunch lecture on Mobile Medical Apps given by Krystal Boulden, MLIS at UAMS.  I knew about most of the ones she talked about:  Epocrates, Clini-eGuide, PubMed on Tap, PubMed for Handhelds, and RefWorks.  Of those, I only use Epocrates.
The one I didn’t know was the first one she highlighted:  Dynamed (the actual app is Skyscape).
DynaMed - Clinical reference tool provided by the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) Area Health Education Centers' Libraries (AHEC), Arkansas Children's Hospital Library, and the UAMS Library. Registration is required for access and renewal is required annually. Training is available through the Area Health Education Centers' Libraries and the UAMS Library. To register for DynaMed click here. To access DynaMed click here.
DynaMed is free to use, but registration is required.  It is evidenced-based, often with links to related articles.  It provides information related to the disease, diagnosis, and treatment.  I have only recently registered and been given my user/password, but with the limited “playing” around I have found it full of useful information. 
The medical app, Skyscape, is free for download from iTunes.
Choose content from top publishers, current guidelines, drug guides, interactive algorithms, calculators and much more.
Skyscape can help you find the information you are looking for:
Table of Contents Search
Incremental Search
SmartSearch™
History
Related Topics
SmartLink™
I haven’t downloaded the app so I can’t give you a personal review.  If anyone has used it, what do you think?

Looking around the UAMS Library website it appears I have not been taking full advantage of the resources they offer:
Online Resources
·  eResources | eJournals
·  eBooks | eReserves
·  Clinical Resources
·  UAMS Library Catalog
·  Mobile Devices
·  HRC Digital Collection
· Image Resources

On twitter:
@UAMS
@UAMSlibrary

Shout out to a couple of guys from MD2P.net whom I met at the meeting:  Simon Lee (@simonslee) and John Malone (@JJMal_One )

No comments: