Friday, February 6, 2009

Wreath Quilt Block

Updated 3/2017-- all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active. and it was easier than checking each one. 

My fall block of the Four Seasons Quilt is called Wreath. Like the Wild Rose block, it comes from the “Award Winning Quilts” by Effie Chalmers Pforr book. It was submitted by Mrs Russell A Warehime of Westminster, Maryland. She states that is is a very old pattern
The pattern has been handed down from my mother, who quilted quite a few of them.”
The leaves’ center veins were machine stitched with brown or green thread prior to the block stitched into the quilt and quilted.

To enhance this quilt block, I planned the quilting to have a “leaf” that I found in Better Homes and Gardens America’s Heritage Quilts (page 23, published 1991). The “leaf” and the stems of the Wreath were done with a brown thread. The background is cross-hatched as the other blocks have been.



Related Posts

3 comments:

Melissa Gay Art said...

Oh, that is NICE.

Anonymous said...

I really admire and appreciate how you document the sources for the different elements in your work. That is classy, and it helps other quilters who want to find fertile idea books! Beautiful work!

rlbates said...

Thank you both. Penny, I like to give credit where it's due. Don't want anyone to think I'm more creative than I am. :)