Friday, January 16, 2009

Windblown Tulips Quilt Block

The spring block of my Four Seasons Quilt is the Windblown Tulips quilt block. It is a Marie Webster design, and was first published by Mountain Mist in 1930. I got the pattern from one of their wrappers when I bought some batting in the early 1990’s. You can find the pattern in Mountain Mist Quilt Favorites (published 1998).

Like the winter block, Dresden Plate, I cross-hatched the background of this block after outlining the flowers and leaves. The tulips were also quilted with red thread to add some detail. The large blade-leaves were quilted with a dark brown thread to add a center vein detail.
The rayon fabric of the leaves addes some of it's own detail to them.

6 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

This is a truly wonderful block. The green fabric you chose sets off the flowers perfectly - I wouldn't have thought of using a rayon. And cross hatch quilting was a perfect choice - it always reminds me of my grandmother because she did so many of her quilts that way. blessings, marlene

Melissa Gay Art said...

Wow, you are really talented at this! I am in awe.

Jabulani said...

So beautiful. At first glance I thought the leaves were black which is striking in itself. Then seeing the patterned fabric lends a whole new dimension. You are so clever. Well done for breathing new life into this!

rlbates said...

Thanks you all. I'm just trying to salvage a project I started so long ago. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

hi...have been looking in EQ6 and Blockbase for this pattern i want to adapt it to use as a quilt motif on a miniature quilt that i am making for a friend. finally found your page with wonderful pics [it has been so long since i have seen a quilt of this pattern-but she is dutch...and i want tulips :)) ] after doing a webcrawler.com search. thankyou...and i am also bkmrking your page here...quilter for 20+yrs...and yours are just beautiful. ty for sharing your joy and your talent.

rlbates said...

Anon, thank you. I'm glad I could help. :)