Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Learning

This is a test (to see how posting from email works for me)  ...
 
This week and for several more I am training to do my new job:  disability determination for SSI.
 
Currently, I am learning definitions and jargon (read:  abreviation, acronyms). 
 
First definition which must be memorized and understood:
For the purpose of social security disability, the definition of disability is the inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity (SGA) by reason of any medically determinable impairment (MDI) -- physical or mental -- diagnosed by a medically acceptable source which is supported by sufficient signs, symptoms, and laboratory findings which can be expected to result in death or which has lasted or can be expected to last for a continous period of not less than 12 months.
 
I hope to find a way to continue to write about plastic surgery, but expect that medicine and disability will find it's way into this blog as I learn this new work.
 

4 comments:

mary beth said...

Wishing you the best in your new professional path. So many things to learn: new acronyms, new computer systems, new work habits. I've been there. I am so happy I took the chance. I hope you will be happy in your new choice too.

rlbates said...

Thank you

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Good luck Ramona! Starting all over and learning new things is so good for keeping the mind healthy and numb. I am starting new things this year too - starting to take AP call and doing more coverage of frozens in main OR. Yikes! Watch out Soduku, right? Ha ha.

Dreaming again said...

Wishing you the best of luck! I don't envy you at all, but will be cheering you on in your new venture.