Friday, February 11, 2011

Monkeying Around

I made the center block a few months ago.  I found it amusing to have the blue flannel fabric with monkeys featured in a quilt block whose name is crab claws but looks to me like a wrench. 
I made the block more difficult by cutting the wrenches out of fabric whole and not piecing them.  This also made me not want to make more of them even though I liked how it turned out.  So the block lingered on my wall waiting for inspiration. 
I finally decided to use the patience nine-patch block.  The sashing strips using the light brown fabric helped pull them all together and add to the size.  The quilt is 40 in square, machine pieced and quilted.
You can see the center block and monkey fabric better in this photo. 
This shows some of the quilting from the back.  I used a light brown thread.  I’ve given this baby quilt to a friend and his wife who are having their second boy.

3 comments:

mark's tails said...

And we love it. It is resting on Mom's new rocking chair, awaiting the babies arrival. Thank you!

StitchinByTheLake said...

My best friend and neighbor actually has a monkey - a cappuchin which is like the organ grinder monkey - that is now about 5 years old. She'd love that quilt! :) blessings, marlene

Maryjonono said...

This is so whimsical, a great gift!