Friday, May 28, 2010

Taylor's Horses Quilt

Updated 3/2017 -- all links removed as many no longer active.

I was asked by a fellow blogger if I knew anyone who could make a horse quilt for his 4 yo daughter.  What do you think I said? 
I looked through my quilt books and only found appliqué patterns, so I searched the web and found this paper-pieced horse block by Annette Truong. 
I wanted the quilt to be something she would like at 4 years of age and at 14 years of age.   I made the horses in blacks and browns and set the blocks into stars of  bright colors (pinks, greens, purples, blues, oranges). 
The quilt is machine pieced and quilted.  It measures 42 in X 56 in.
Here are some closer photos to show the horses and fabrics.
This horse reminds me of a palomino.
This is my version of the “old grey mare.”
Here’s a quarter horse.
Here is a photo of part of the back to try to show the quilting.

I received this tweet the day after Taylor received it.
@rlbates Taylor slept with "horsies" last night and dragged it everywhere she went :-) Awesome, nothing better than a child's smile :-) thx
I’m thrilled that she loves it!

5 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

The very best accolade for a quilt is when a child drags it everywhere with them and it eventually gets ragged! I love the paper pieced horses - haven't seen them before. blessings, marlene

Bardiac said...

Beautiful! Gosh, I bet she loves it as an adult, too!

Jabulani said...

I don't know about 4 and 14, I'm 41 and I love it!! And the tweet about it being loved by the recipient is just precious. Well done on another fabulous quilt.

Maryjonono said...

It's gorgeous! I love the sharp points everywhere, especially on the manes, I can see that you're a perfectionist! Great color choices, too, thanks for sharing it!

Suze said...

The quilt is one amazing work of art. I am so glad it is so loved already. Like Marlene has said I have never seen the design before and the workmanship is terrific