- Keeping the skin clean and dry using warm water and gentle soap
- Avoiding extreme temperatures while bathing
- Avoiding trauma to the skin and sun exposure (use a sunscreen with at least SPF 30)
- Avoiding shaving the treatment area with a razor blade (use an electric razor if necessary)
- Avoiding use of perfumes, cosmetics, after-shave or deodorants in the treatment area (use cornstarch with or without baking soda in place of deodorants)
- Using only recommended unscented creams or lotions after daily treatment.
Whelan TJ, et al "Long-term results of hypofractionated radiation therapy for breast cancer" N Engl J Med 2010; 362: 513-20.
American Cancer Society