Friday, November 20, 2009

Jacket with Rushed Roses

Last week I showed you a coat I made for a wool sewing contest that didn’t win.  I did win (a different year) with this one.  The fabric is a wool blend, approximately 65% wool (if I remember correctly).  The entire jacket is underlined (or in other words, I fused a light-weight interfacing to the fabric before cutting out the jacket) to add weight to the fabric so it would support the roses.  The jacket is lined with a bound buttonhole.

The ruched roses are done differently from the ones on the quilt top I mentioned early in my blogging life (I need to return to that top, no progress has been made on it).  [How to ruche – free tutorial.]
At the time I made the jacket, I had found a Hallmark card with a ladybug pin on it.  I bought two and used them on my jacket.
This is the pattern I used to make the jacket.  I won a couple of yards of wool fabric and a pair of Gingher applique scissors.

4 comments:

agent99 said...

WOW. I've been lurking for a few days. I found your blog by way of from My Left Foot, which I found because I'm a podiatrist. I've never come across another medical professional who quilts, or sews. So I am probably one of the very few readers who was absolutely mesmerized by your nail bed injury post.
Your needle arts - on textile - are amazing. I imagine your patients must look incredible!
Look forward to following you!
Quilt on!

Peta (Agent99)
@ utterlychaotic.blogspot.com

Gizabeth Shyder said...

Amazingly beautiful!

rlbates said...

Thank you both.

Jabulani said...

This is such a pretty jacket. I'm getting all sorts of wonderful ideas from your site! Now I just have to sit down and sew them ... hmph. BUT...turban first!!