Saturday, November 14, 2009

Pendleton Wool Blanket Coat

 Updated 3/2017-- all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active. and it was easier than checking each one.

In the early 1990s I was still sewing more clothes than quilts.  I entered a few wool garment sewing contests.  For one I decided I would make myself a coat using a wool blanket.  I found one designed by someone who shares my first name --  Pendleton Dewey Chihuahua Trail Blanket by Ramona Sakiestewa.  I used a McCall pattern with a large shawl collar.

The coat didn’t win.  It was too big for me,   so  a year or two later I decided to cut it down and restyle it.  Good intentions which never got finished.  As you can see from the photo below I  nearly finished it, but it has hung in my sewing room and the pockets have been used to hold things.

The Clinton Presidential Center is holding a “5Days of Giving” beginning today.  When I heard about it earlier this week, I decided it was time to finish the coat and donate it.  Here I am wearing the finished coat.
I still have the box the blanket came in.  I wish I still had the blanket, whole and intact. 
And I even found the tag which came with the blanket.
Even though I regret cutting up the lovely blanket designed by Ramona, I am happy to say it is now going to keep someone warm.

2 comments:

Jabulani said...

That looks like a fabulously warm coat and I love the pattern style too! I hope the person who receives this will love it. Well done you on another great project completed.

charity said...

A great thought and idea.The blanket is looking nice after your coat is done and I am sure Ramola will be happier with your decision.