Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Shout Outs

 Updated 3/2017--photos and all links removed as many are no longer active and it was easier than checking each one.

Dr. Daniel Goldberg, Medical Humanities Blog, is this weeks host for Grand Rounds. I submitted one of my posts from last week. You can read this weeks grand rounds here.     
That's all, folks.  Thanks for reading.  Comments always welcome.  As we like to say in Texas, y'all come back real soon, ya hear?
Kim over at Emergiblog is looking for other medical bloggers interested in  attending BlogWorld Media Expo September 20-21.
This is very exciting news!
We have an opportunity to meet as a med-blogging group at this year’s BlogWorld.
For those of us who have wanted a chance to have a med-blogger meet up, this is an opportunity to meet under the auspices of BlogWorld .
I spoke to Rick Calvert, the CEO and Co-Founder of Blog World and New Media Expo.


And don't forget to check out Change of Shift while at Kim's blog.


Dr Anonymous' Blog Talk Radio show is Thursday night! His guest this week will be Angelo & Brandice live from NME.  Then on August 21st, I will be his guest.  So mark your calendar.  I'll need all the help I can get from "my friends".  The show starts at 8 pm CST (or 1 am GMT). I hope you will join us.
Tips for first time Blog Talk Radio listeners (from Dr A):
For first time Blog Talk Radio listeners:
*Although it is not required to listen to the show, I encourage you to register on the BlogTalkRadio site prior to the show. I think it will make the process easier.
*To get to my show site, click here. As show time gets closer, keep hitting "refresh" on your browser until you see the "Click to Listen" button. Then, of course, press the "Click to Listen" button.
*You can also participate in the live chat room before, during, and after the show. Look for the "Chat Available" button in the upper right hand corner of the page. If you are registered with the BTR site, your registered name and picture will appear in the chat room.
*You can also call into the show. The number is on my show site. I'll be taking calls beginning at around the bottom of the hour. There is also a "Click To Talk" feature where you do not need a phone to call into the show - only a microphone headset. Hope these tips are helpful!

Theresa, Rural Doctoring, has a wonderful post this morning on checking facts for yourself (and the patient).  I hope you will go read it -- Case --A Hair on the Back of My Neck .

Doctor David highlights a tremendous group in a recent blog post.  The group is the Make a Wish Foundation.  If you have not heard of this group, I would encourage you to learn more about them. 
One foundation that tries to make this a little bit better is the Make-A-Wish Foundation. This is a group that raises money to grant a single wish to any child with a life limiting diagnosis. The work they do is tremendous, and the smiles they bring to the faces of our children are priceless.
 
I stumbled upon (after he stumbled across my blog and e-mailed me) a new surgery blog.  The blog is "My Surgical Blog", listed as the Surgical Lounge in my sidebar.  I hope you'll give his blog a look.  Here's his introduction:
I am a 31 year old from India. I am working as a General surgeon in a Govt hospital in Delhi. My experience in this branch started from 2001 when I joined as a surgery resident, I have experience of working as a general surgeon and also have assisted in all types of cardiac surgeries.
Initially I had intended to blog about my daily hospital activities and cases but i will talk about some other things as well.



A fellow quilter,Helen in the UK, has a nice post on "A Little Something Different".  In it she share a pattern for a burial gown and bonnet set for a preemie.  Most local hospitals will have a need for something like this.  Call and ask yours  if you are interested in addressing this need.
However, the All Craft 4 Charity (AC4C) group has a monthly project theme and August is bereavement items for newborns and preemies.  I was moved to give it a go ... and this is a burial gown and bonnet set for a preemie.
The pattern wasn't difficult, but I'm really glad I had a far distant grounding in garment sewing. I made a lot of mistakes along the way - or should I say I had a lot of learning opportunities!! I'm really pleased with how it has turned out and hope to make another set before the month is over.

1 comment:

Helen in the UK said...

I was searching for something I had seen on a blog a while ago and forgot to bookmark. What should come up in my search by a reference to my own preemie sewing on your blog!! Thanks for linking to me :)