Saturday, May 31, 2008
I was asked by an extended family member to make several quilts from the shirts of a deceased loved one. The husband/father died two years ago in his mid-fifties of sepsis. He was a "good-old boy" in the best sense of the phase. Always had time for his family and friends. Loved cars -- watching NASCAR, restoring old cars, etc.
So with a few specifications (I would piece them. I would even quilt them if they were no larger than 50 in X 70 in. I would not agree to a deadline. I would keep receipts for the batting, thread, and backing used. I would not be paid for anything other than supplies.) I agreed to do the quilts. I was given a large container of shirts -- 42 of them. Here is a picture prior to cutting them up.
It took me a couple of weeks working in the evenings to cut off collars and cuffs, press the shirts, and then cut them into pieces. I decided to for the most part use 5 in squares (5.5 in prior to sewing) so that the shirt patterns wouldn't be lost. Of course, I had to make sure the pockets were used in at least one quilt -- this one.
Here is the first one. I used the pockets in this one. They all still are functioning pockets too. The quilt is 50 in X 70 in, machine pieced and quilted. The pockets are "tied" from the back so they can still be used.
He was also a ball cap wearer, usually a John Deere one. I cut the patch off of one and added it to the quilt.
One of the shirts had paint stains on it. I decided to make sure they were included. I am glad I did, as I found out recently that it represents the "car that didn't get finished". The paint stains are from working on a car restoration.