Saturday, June 30, 2007

Type 2 Diabetes

Updated 3/2017-- all links (except to my own posts) removed as many no longer active.

I often talk to my patients about maintaining an active life (or gaining one) and not just watching their children play sports or dance classes or band practices. I talk to them about trying to eat healthy (aim for 80-90 per cent of the time, allow for special celebrations, etc). I am not a nutritionist, so I will refer them or suggest books. I gave my mother Type 2 Diabetes for Beginners by Phyllis Barrier, MS, RD, CDE when she was first diagnosed.
Yes, I have a family history of Type 2 Diabetes. My grandmother (maternal), my mother, and a brother. I am very aware that I have to watch my weight and exercise to try to prevent myself my manifesting this disease. I am also aware that I have a weakness for sweets, especially chocolate. Here are my answers to the diabetes risk test found at the American Diabetes Association web site. You may wish to take it yourself and see what your risk is.
Diabetes Risk Test1. Please select your age category: 18-44 45-64 65 or older
2. Please enter your height: 5 feet 3.5 inches
3. Please enter your weight: 124 pounds
4. I am under 65 years of age AND I get little or no exercise. True False
5. I have a sister or brother with diabetes. True False
6. I have a parent with diabetes. True False
7. I am a woman who has had a baby weighing more than nine pounds at birth. True False


Diabetes Risk Test Results:
You have scored 7 points . This means I am at low to medium risk for having type 2 diabetes now, BUT may be at higher risk in the future. By simply changing my answer to question #4 to true (I get very little or no exercise) my score would go to 12 and put me in the high risk catagory. [0-2 is very low risk; 3-9 is low to medium risk; 10 or more is high risk].
I can keep my risk low by:
1. Keeping my weight in control
2. Staying active most days of the week (walk, dance, run, just move
3. Eating low fat meals high in fruits, vegetables and whole grain foods

For more information, call 1-800-DIABETES (1-800-342-2383) Monday through Friday, 9 am – 8 pm (EST).

I'm going to get up and go take my dogs for a walk.

1 comment:

LynnS said...

Thank you for providing the link for the Diabetes Test. I scored a 5. Diabetes is not prevalent in my family, plus I eat well, am a regular weight, and do alot of physical work (gardening, walking, kayaking, walking my dogs, aerobic pool exercise in cold weather). Taking care of our physical health gives us more energy and a more positive outlook to continue on!