Friday, September 9, 2011

Gold Rush SF Santa Quilt

This small quilt (9 in X 10.5 in) began as a needlepoint project back in 1993 from a kit I bought on a trip to San Francisco.  The kit is a DeDe’s needlework design  (Dede Ogden).  It is her Gold Rush S.F. Santa.  I had long ago finished the Santa, but for some reason did not do the background and then misplaced or lost the thread needed for the background.
When I “stumbled” upon it again recently, I decided to turn it into a small quilt.  I added a white fabric background and then a border.  I then machine and hand quilted it.

The back has triangles to add in hanging the quilt.  A small bamboo stick can be placed and hung on a picture hook (see where the pin is).
Here is the Gold Rush S.F. Santa design which makes it a little easier to appreciate the San Francisco elements included.

There’s the pan of gold Santa is holding in his left hand, the sourdough bread in his right.  Just off his right elbow is the Golden Gate bridge and below that the cable car.  The “E” area is the Coit Tower.  The “I” area is the Crooked Street.  The “J” flowers are poppies.
I sent this quilt to our fellow blogger Doc Gurley.

No comments: