Friday, April 21, 2017

On (the) Line Quilt

This year's theme for the Quilt Alliance (https://quiltalliance.org/) yearly contest is "voices."  This is my entry.  I designed it with phone calls to/from my mother (She died almost 8 yrs ago and I still miss hearing her voice.  I really miss the phone call on my birthday each July.), the party lines from my youth (you would sometimes have to tell someone who picked up their phone to use the line, "hey, I'm on the line."), and today's on line conversations (ie Twitter) all in mine.  The words are machine embroidered into the telephone lines. The quilt is 16 in sq.  It is machine appliqued and quilted. 
 I tried to choose the words to reflect a "catching up" conversation.
I added the "cubs won!" as a nod to my grandmother who loved baseball.
This last photo is of the label on the back.  I added the phrase "a little bird told me" as it again makes me think of my mother (and also of twitter).

No comments: