Friday, April 28, 2017

Death Penalty, RIP Quilt

I made this quilt a few weeks ago as a small protest against the death penalty.  The current news is full of the executions here in Arkansas as the state is trying to conduct multiple executions before the end of April.  I am not for the death penalty.  I came to this conclusion many years ago.  My decision is mostly based on the commandment “thou shalt not kill.”  I rarely go to Church anymore but cling to the 10 commandments as a good foundation for living.  I admit I would probably fight to the death to protect myself or a loved one if we were in imminent danger (thereby breaking the commandment). However, the death penalty does not protect anyone in imminent danger.  The prisoner is already behind bars.  Life without parole seems like a better choice to me.  My husband disagrees with me.  I do have compassion for the families of the victims (and the prisoner).  I would love to see a system that would provide them with free (or low cost) counseling. 

I designed the headstone on my laptop and then printed it onto fabric.  The quilt is machine pieced and quilted.  The quilt measures 15.25 in X 18 in.
 Here is a close up of the headstone.
 This is the back.  I like the way the quilting shows.

No comments: